Sunday, June 29, 2014




Wood fired Roasted Potato Bread

The first one is a little toasty , the Boule came out perfect.  I cooked these after pizza in a very hot oven ~ 650 dome and ~ 550 degree floor. So it is possible - mostly I was to impatient to wait another 1-2 hours for the temp to go down , and, my bread was ready to go!  So what to do?  My tip - put a diffuser on the floor of the oven - to absorb some of the heat, and cover the bread with anything that will fit - just the way you use a dutch-oven pot in a regular oven.  In my house I preheat the dutch oven or pot cover - but in the pizza oven i don't because its so fricken hot . Leave the cover on for the first 20 min or so. This way of course you don't have to deal with trying to add steam, you get plenty from the dough.
Also I know most recommendations say to sweep out the oven floor before baking - but  I don't feel like clearing out a bunch of hot coals and worrying about dropping one on my foot ! . I just diffuse the coals by spreading them around the perimeter of the oven. Also, this way you really don't have to rotate your bread.  
The recipe comes from Jeffy Hamelmans " Bread" book Roasted Potato . But I substituted Spelt Flour for the WW, and I used my SD starter for the preferment which I changed from its usual 100% to 65% stiff preferment using my starter changer spreadsheet.


No comments:

Post a Comment