Thursday, July 3, 2014

NY Style #SourDough #Pizza in two hours

I had an old batch of dough that was in the fridge for 5days, usually the max time limit of usable dough, so i was not sure it would be any good. I wanted a back up.  In a flash with out any measurement, I  mixed up some all-purpose flour (KA) and a small palm pinch of yeast, and salt,  and to spike the dough with some flavor, I grabbed my sourdough starter from the fridge and dumbed some in. I just mixed everything by hand until I got a reasonable consistency - to me it felt like it was at about 70%. I had about 2hrs to show time. It was a warm day so I put the dough in a bowl and set it in the Sun at about 80 deg, for 1hr - did a stretch and fold then another 45 min. then brought it in the house , shaped it into a ball and let it rest some more on the counter. It did not have the best gluten development, but I did my best at stretching it out into a large Pizza one of the largest I have made ( the peel it is sitting on is a large 16 inch peel) .  I went for a plane cheese and used a combo of cheeses,  more than my usual Neapolitan style to get closer to a NY cheese slice that I remember from living in NY.

Surprisingly it worked : The crust puffed well and had an nice chew.  Took an extra minute of 2 to cook. If i had some pepperoni, that would have been just right :)


So it is possible to crank out a pizza from scratch on short notice .



No comments:

Post a Comment