Friday, August 29, 2014

Yet another Tartine experiment

The first loaf - over-proofed but still great tasting
It's clear that many people try to reproduce the famous Tartine breads with more or less success. I finally bought book #3 and read it cover to cover. I thought I would start with the basic country loaf.
Notes:

  • I made the high extraction flour by sifting WW and and making a 50/50 blend.
  • I used the wheat germ
  • I basically did it as it is laid out in the book except I used some rye for my starter feeding because I was out of WW.
Observations:
Hole structure was less than expected because of over proofing

  • Lots of waste . I just cannot see throwing away so much starter. I think next time I will modify to just feed my starter without making so many new batches
  • Crazy fermentation . I was not prepared for the speed and quality of the natural fermentation, using his method. Things were really moving along fast. My final proof was refrigerated 3 hrs and it over proofed
  • The WW and the wheat germ really enhances the fermentation
  • 85% hydration is totally doable and the dough was very manageable.
Taste and appearance
Really nice chew and mild sour balance. Even better the second day. Hole structure was less than I wanted but this was due to the deflating when I scored the over proofed loaf. Then second loaf ( below) I did not score so when I cut it I expect a better structure.
What I learned

  • Autolyse more , esp with whole grain breads 
  • Go for 85% H20 
  • Make it when you have extra time on your hands , you cannot rush this bread!
  • Wheat germ enhances fermentation
2nd loaf un-scored to to prevent collapse



No comments:

Post a Comment