Saturday, January 24, 2015

Master Bread Recipe?

I know some (many) bakers have a master recipe from which all their breads derive ( i.e. Chad Robertson). I think all of of stumbles upon what works best for us.
I am getting close to a master recipe that seems to work well for many combinations. But I am still working on it.
I keep a 100% whole wheat Starter
I feed it twice before baking.

So far what seems to work well is the following formula:

  • 75% hydration
  • 20-25% levain or starter as a % of the d total dough weight
  • 2% salt 
  • I usually boost the levain by adding a pinch of instant yeast because most of my breads are whole grain
  • Flour combination :
  • 50% AP
  • 35%  Locally milled Whole Wheat 
  • 10% Spelt
  • 5% rye

I don't know, but this flour combination seems to play well together

For this latest bread , I folded in a seed mix of sesame, flax, sunflower, and pumpkin after kneading and fermenting, right before the final shaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment