Monday, January 19, 2015

Dried Fig and Roasted Walnut Sourdough

I searched around for recipes and could not find anything that I liked. I knew I wanted to use up some tasty dried figs before I ate them all like candy.  I  created a recipe based on the experience that  75% hydration works well for whole grain breads , and I have had good luck miking some Spelt and a small amount of rye. I also wanted 15-25% sourdough.
Formula 
Total dough wt 1200gm ( not including figs and walnuts)
Hydration 75%
Starter 25% (fed twice before)
Flour
KA Bread: 50%
WW: 35%
Spelt: 10%
Rye: 5%
Barley malt syrup 1tsp

~ 1 cup chopped dried figs
~ 1 cup pan roasted chopped walnuts

Process:

  • Autolyse flours 30-40min
  • mix 1 min drizzle in barley malt syrup ( could also use honey)
  • Add in pinch of yeast as booster because of the figs and nuts
  • Add salt (2%)
  • Add in starter 
  • Mix (Bosch universal plus)  3min speed 1 then 2 min speed #2
  • rest a few min while cleaning up
  • dump onto counter and 1-2 stretch and floods
  • bench rest 1hr with S&F X2 at 30 min and 60min
  • Cold ferment 4-5 hours
  • Shape and proof ~ 2hrs ( depending on temp)
  • Bake 475F 20min covered then  uncover and bake 20min at 450, then 10min at 425





 You can see the figs and walnuts in the cut ends. This bread is figalicious , sweet and moist, the kind of bread you can just eat plain even without butter.  Great with cheese and soups. I am going to make some killer grilled cheese with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment