Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tartine inspired Multigrain Porridge loafs

Grains = Goodness

In Tartine Book #3, there are several Porridge breads , but most are single grain.

I like #multigrain breads, so I modified the #porridge approach for multigrain and to use a straight starter rather than creating new levain as the book does. 
I used the books total % of grain (50% of dough weight) and hydration goal (75%).



















I combined 50 gm each of :
  • Oats
  • Millet
  • Aramath
  • Cracked Faro
  • Flax seeds

Soaked and then cooked for 10min into a porridge.

I fed my starter a few times to build it up to the required amount (150 gms.).
Because of the large amount of  heavy grain porridge mix, and the cooler fall temps in Seattle, I spiked it with 1/4 Tsp Yeast.

Process
  • Mix flour *
  • Autolyse 1hr
  • Add Levain, salt and yeast
  • Hand mix
  • Stretch and folds 2 times at 30min intervals 
  • Refrigerator overnight
  • Next morning; pre-shape, shape, and proof about 1.5 -2.5 hrs
  • Bake covered 475 F 20 min
  • Bake uncovered 450F 20min
  • reduce to 425 F for another 10 min or so

*  50% Fresh milled Nash Organic Hard winter wheat 50% KA bread flour
Levain is 100% Nash Whole Wheat


No comments:

Post a Comment